WeJobStation Scrutiny is new series in which we will inform different jobs of India. Our first topic is IFS officer which stands for Indian Foreign Service. Each year 9,00,000 to 10,00,000 students give this exam. As we have already told that it is one of the most popular jobs of UPSC. It is one of the highest-paid government jobs in India. So in this article, we will talk about IFS officers. About there Recruitment Process, Role in Administration, Skills, Power, Luxury, etc.
So here is the full scrutiny of IFS exam.
Table Of Contents
- What is Indian Force Service Officer (IFS)?
- The requirement for these Officers
- Age Limit
- Recruitment Process of Indian Force Service Officer (IFS)
- Syllabus of IFS Recruitment
- Syllabus of Prelims exam
- Syllabus of mains exam
- Duty Of this civil service
- Perks of this civil service
- Few Disadvantages of this civil service
- Skills Required for this civil service
- Salary Structure of this civil service
- Latest Government Jobs
What is an Indian Foreign Service Officer (IFS)?
The Indian Foreign Service Officer in short known as IFS Officer is rank. Which comes under All India Civil Services as we have described in Best UPSC Jobs. This civil service is a diplomatic and administrative division of other UPSC jobs. In expansion, these other UPSC jobs are Group A and Group B. These posts work under Central Government. These officers rank most of the time works with the Ministry of External Affairs. And this is the most popular rank in Civil examination candidates. It is so popular because it offers great perks which we described in the highest paying government jobs article.
Requirements for IFS Officer
The students who are preparing for Civil Exams. Civil service examination conducted by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC). And every candidate which is applying should full fil these basic requirements. These basic requirements are nationality, Education, Age, Attempts, and some other basic things.
- The candidate should be an Indian
- Or a citizen of Nepal or Bhutan.
- Or he can be a Tibetan Refugee from before 1 January 1962
- Migrants from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African, Kenya, Uganda, The United Republic of Tanzania, Zambia, and some others are also accepted for the Civil Service examination.
Education And Attempts Requirements
- The Candidate should be a 10+2 pass from any recognized board
- With a graduation degree in any stream from any recognized college or university
- The Unreserved category has 7 attempts
- For SC/ST it is unlimited
- For others, it is 9 attempts
- Generally, the minimum age for an officer is 21 Years
- The maximum age is 30 Years
- For OBC, the maximum age is 33 Years
- The maximum age is 35 Years for SC/ST.
- For J&K Resident, the maximum age is 35 Years
- For the Physically handicapped, the maximum age is 40 Years
Recruitment Process Of Indian Foreign Service Officer
Now, if you have fulfilled all the requirements then you are eligible for filling the form. Now you can fill civil service examination which UPSC conducts. This UPSC exam contains 3 different rounds which are Prelims, Mains, and Interview. Moreover, the selected candidates are ready to join different posts. Candidates are categorized into different ranks and posts according to their performance. And Indian Foreign officer (IFS) is one of the highest and popular posts. So you can join directly join as IFS with this process. And if your is a little low but you made it to Group B then you can also become one of these officers, with the help of promotion. But this process takes time.
Syllabus Of IFS Exam
This syllabus is divided into 3 main cateogries
- Prelim Exam
- Mains Exam
Syllabus of Prelim exam for IFS
This prelim exam happens with 2 different exams. So here are the 2 different paper information and syllabus.
- Current Affairs National and International
- Indian Polity and Constitution
- Different systems like
- Political System
- Panchayati raj
- Public policy
- History of India
- Indian national movement
- Social Development
- Climate Change
- Environmental ecology
- General Science
- General mental ability
- Logical reasoning
- analytical analyses
- Communication Skill
- Basic numeracy
- Reading and understanding pictorial data
Syllabus of Mains exam for IFS
This mains exam happens with 9 different exams. So here are the 9 different paper information and syllabus. And you can choose between 30+ optional subjects.
- Paper A – It is a paper of constitution from its Eighth Schedule [300 marks]
- Paper B – It is an English language exam [300 marks]
- Paper 1 – Essay Writing [250 marks]
- Paper 2 – General Studies Paper I Which includes Indian heritage and culture, geography, and history [250 marks]
- Paper 3 – General Studies Paper-II Which includes Governance constitution polity [250 marks]
- Paper 4 – General Studies Paper III Which includes Technology, Economics, Environment and Disaster management [250 marks]
- Paper 5 – General Studies Paper IV Which includes Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude [250 marks]
- Paper 6 – Optional Subject I [250 marks]
- Paper 7 – Optional Subject II [250 marks]
List Of Optional Subjects
These are the list of subjects which you can choose as your optional subject I and II for mains exam.
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Political Science
- Public Administration
- And many more languages
Interview of IFS officer
So Interview is the last step of this huge process and yes it is the toughest step. In this process, a panel of experts will also question. And these questions will judge you inside out. These questions can come from anywhere, like any subject, topic, even from your state or city. These questions will not be bookish they be totally from your internal mind and it will check your caliber. As I am saying it will not be in the form of bookish language so here a video about these interviews from very qualified Gaurav Kaushal.
Duty Of IFS Officer
Indian Foreign Service Officer is the most popular job of Civil service examination. Because these Officers get posted in different countries with many perks. This civil service work in the Ministry of External Affairs. Indian foreign service officer works as a representative of India. It is one of the highest paying civil jobs you can get after a qualifying Civil Service examination conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
Perks Of these Officers
- They get a chance to work hard for the benefit of the nation.
- Housing Facility
- Medical Facility
- Chance to travel the whole world
- Car With Driver
- Other Staff for house
- International Educational Facility for children’s with Scholarships
- Addition Allowance like living cost as per stated by united nations.
- They Enjoy diplomatic powers.
Few Disadvantages of IFS Officers
- Sometime you need to live alone without your family
- The work is quite high and gives a lot of stress.
Skills Required for IFS Officer
- Confidence which is the most important
- Knowledge of important subjects like Policy, economy, current affairs and many other.
- And very important for IFS is Diplomatic Approach
Salary Structure of IFS Officer
The main salary of an Indian Foreign officer is ₹60,000/- per month. Moreover, they are many other different luxury like accommodation, transportation, medical expenses, Scholarship, and many other things. On the other side, these officers will get pensions and many retirement benefits. In this case, the pay scales get high as ₹2,40,000/-. Also, the highest they can become an ambassador of India.
- Junior Level grade, with pay scales ₹15,600/- to ₹39,100/- + ₹5400/-.
- Senior Time Scale Officer, with pay scales ₹15,600/- to ₹39,100/- + ₹6600/-.
- Junior Administrative, with pay scales ₹15,600 to 39,100/- + ₹7600/-.
- Selection Grade, with pay scales ₹37,400/- to ₹67,000/- + ₹8,700/-.
- Super Time Grade, with pay scales ₹37,400/- to ₹67,000/- + ₹12,000/-.
- Apex, with pay scales ₹80,000/- + ₹90,000/-
Check latest Govt jobs in Story Format
It is one of the most important, prestigious, and crucial. However, one thing is constant that this civil service takes a lot of hard work and passion to be a government servant. This is one of the toughest exams to crack due to which you need to keep a lot of patience. It is not easy but it is not impossible also.
Harsh Vardhan Shringle (as per now) is the current highest ranked IFS officer.
It varies according to post but basic is ₹60,000/- to ₹2,40,000/-.
IFS training starts at LBSNAA, Mussoorie.
IFS stands for Indian Foreign Service.
You need to give Civil service examination for IFS Recruitment.
UPSC, Union Public Service Commission takes civil examination .
Yes, he does an car with driver.
No, you can’t you need to be graduate.
yes it can be stressful in many situations
yes, you can settle abroad
No you cannot without permission
An IFS officer covers 26 countries.
Kanishak Kataria 1080 marks